Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I Thought It Was The End


There is a man named Jon who is 22 years old and has a warrant out for his arrest.

Biking back from the grocery store (something I swore I would never do) I was trying to balance a bag of milk and some foil-wrapped potatoes when I came to a intersection.
I really wanted to get home - seriously regretting not taking the bike home from my ride and just walking to the store - so instead of waiting for the light to change, I started to go down the street on the opposite side.

I was going to cut across as there were no cars coming when I saw a police car. Upon seeing this, I decided to stay where I was at wait to cross at the next intersection. Suddenly, the police car made an U-turn and he was right infront of me. I thought I was dead.

Luckily enough, I swerved at the last second and made it safely to the other side of the road. Hopped off the bike and held my chest. My heart was going a billion paces a hour. From behind me I heard, "Hey you! Come over here!".

I was so freaking scared. I thought I was going to ram into his car and kill himself. A little shaken, I quickly crossed the road. Fear does strange things to people. I felt like crying but instead I yell "How is this my fault?!" I can be so stupid.

"Excuse me?" he said looking down from his 6 and a half foot stature. I asked how it was my fault that he made a U-turn in front of me. He corrected me in saying he was making a turn in a designated zone and that it was my fault I was on the wrong side of the road. I could have killed myself.

I once heard bikes were considered vehicles but I never got the conformation until today. I spoke truthfully when I said I didn't know. Seriously, officer. I didn't.

He asked for my ID and I gave it to him. He said a bunch of jargon and then said my name and birth date. Some women ran a check on me. A minute later - it felt like hours - she replied that there were no Jeffreys but there was a 22 old man named Jon with the same last name that was wanted. He refused to make eye contact with me (which mine were just beginning to water as I considered what this man could do to me).

He told me next time to be more careful, to ride on the correct side of traffic or one day I WILL end up dead. I wanted to shake his hand and thank him but he was already back in the car. My heart was still racing.

I feel like saying a little prayer. I have been saved once again.

No comments: