Friday, October 23, 2009

October 23rd; "Daisy" Review


It had been a long hard week at school. I had ground through a total of eight exams and was looking forward to a week off of college. I had been especially saving Brand New's latest album Daisy as a reward for all my studying and hard work.

When I finally got around to it, I popped the disc into my dad's car. What came out baffled me. It was a hymn - later I would find out it was "On Life's Highway," a gospel hymn written by Bertrand Brown - which did not seem to fit in with Brand New. What followed was a hysteric sound of "Vice". The songs that followed were equally jarring. My immediate response was disappointment.

Upon second listening, it wasn't as bad. It took me for surprised. Still, I was not pleased. When you buy an album by a band - especially a band like Brand New which I have long adored - you are also buying a guarantee. I thought I was in for another mind blowing experience. What I got was something I assumed was a CD forced by fan-mail.

The next song on the CD is "Bed" which is more like their earlier material but probably would have sounded a lot better if it wasn't whispered.

"At The Bottom" is amazing and my spirits were picked up as soon as I heard it. It was like I was back in the days of Deja Entendu. It is the perfect pace. It invigorated me.

I guess I got my hopes up. "Gasoline" is a example of how I think good sounds lose a bit of quality due to a little too much screaming. Once again - upon hearing again - I think I judged it a bit harshly. I would still like to see it calmed down a bit.

Song #5 is "You Stole". This song begins very well - very well. It is mellow and sweet. It kind of get's lost in the instrumentals. I am not complaining but merely commenting. It is pretty good song.

Next is "Be Gone" which begins with a bit of a country sound and then proceeds to get f---ing weird. Like, what the hell is up with this song? The vocalizations are completely distorted. I have no idea what Jesse Lasey.

"Sink" was really cool. I didn't want to admit it to my father but I liked the song. I have this embarrassment around my parents whenever we listen to song with screaming in it. I know neither of my parents particularly like it. I think this is why I felt weird while in the car drive home listening to Lasey yell about "coming to get" me.

"Bought a Bride" is also a good song. It reminded me of song that I am forgetting from the The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me but I am forgetting the title.

The title track - "Daisy" - is sad. It made me want to cuddle a teddy bear and then rip it's head off. It basically just fades off. Then comes in a guitar riff that doesn't really fit. The song is not bad but it is a bit off kilter. The audio and instrument sound an eighth note off. It also ends abruptly.

"In a Jar" is just a weak song. There is nothing in particular that makes it not as good as other songs but I just did not happen to like it. I think the chorus should have been sung at least twice and THEN screamed. It gets my blood pumped though. I like that.

The album ends stronger with "Noro". By this, I mean that the last sound is a good one. The actual ending - a re-initiation of "One Life's Highway" - is kind of sappy but pulls it all together. I really like the bass and drums in this song. It reminds me why I fell in love with Brand New in the first place.

Overall, I have to give the album a 7 out of 10. It is a good listen but does not live up to expectations. Some songs appear to be just thrown together for the heck of it. I read on their site (and it is on Wikipedia as well) that Brand New has always wanted to put "strange things on the albums" and thought that they don't "do it as much as [they] would like to".

So there it is: Daisy by Brand New in less than 1,000 words.

No comments: