Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16th; First Canada Wins Gold and Then This?!


It is amazing how much a little number can make you feel. I did not think it would affect me this much. It’s kind of scary.

In no way am I an expert birder but I am proud to say that I got 100% on my Bird Identification test in my Wildlife course. The teacher even picked it out of the pile to use it as a marking sheet. I guess he had confidence in me.

Based on this test alone, I can ID 40 birds. That is more than a lot of people can boast. It is one step closer to knowing my beloved Earth. I consider this a great accomplishment.

I was so worried about it. In retrospect, I am not even sure why that was. I am always a very diligent person. When I put my heart and effort into something, I always get results. However, I still get this silly feeling now and then that my grades are a fluke; that I have just gotten lucky. It is ridiculous.

To make things even better, it is a truly beautiful day outside. I am definitely going to sit outside a read. Nothing is better after a day at work/school, then relaxing on the front porch of your house, enjoying a good novel, and possibly sipping on a cool drink. I used to think Spring was a ugly season. I am beginning to reconsider.

I still have three more exams/tests this week. I am confident that I will do well on those as well. Perhaps it will not be 100% but there is always the potential.

More than anything, I needed this. I was down last night. I was done most of the weekend. As a celebration of my 200th piece of poetry, I posted a “woe is me” piece. The weather was grumpy and so was I. I can admit to that. I agreed to take a job and then regretted it. I had this notion that I did not have enough time for it, that the hours and pay was not enough and that I would probably be no good at it. All of it combined made me miss my home, my friends and everything in Ancaster

However, today was a great day. I woke up late, shoved cereal down my gullet and then sped to school. I made it to class exactly on time – out of breath but smiling. Within the hour, the sun came out and filled my heart with gladness. I was laughing easy and wasn’t stressed out for once. Then I wrote the Bird ID test and that was like the whipping cream onto of my apple crumble day. It was amazing.

Just for all those people who feel like giving up – like I did before today – hold on because I know there are days like these for each and everyone. If you run, they will never be able to catch up with you. Hold tight and have faith.


- Jeffrey

No comments: