Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 21; My Infliction Realized


Every so often you get one of those moments where you just stop and realize that your life is not a pile of gos se but rather things are quite excellent.

This weekend is a fantastic example of that. My father picked me up at Fleming College on possibly one of the best days – weather wise – that the town of Lindsay has experienced in months. I am saying winter is not beautiful in its own way, but after a few REALLY cold weeks, it is nice to have the sun shining and a light breeze blowing between the Scots pines.

When I got home, I played some basket-ball and settled in for the evening. The next morning I got up with my mother and we went off to work. I had a job interview with Human Wildlife Control at 9:30am which I was both looking forward to and, in a way, dreading. I realized a little too late that I might not meet some of the qualifications.

In the words of the interviewer, I “nailed it” and I am going to call him mid-April to see if he needs me. It felt as if he was telling me that I had the job as long as there was a need for another person on the crew. In my mind, that is a mission accomplished.

That evening my father and I watched a really bad Japanese monster, had a good hardy laugh, and went to bed refreshed. Rarely do I get that these hectic days at school. Usually my thoughts are too enraptured in assignments and tests to feel much peace. It is as if my eyelids close from exhaustion rather than a will to have a good night’s rest.

Saturday I woke up tired but excited. I had the feeling that despite the tranquil process of going to bed, my sleep was packed full of dreams. I do have a fleeting recollection of my mother, in the dream, mentioning my shoes were too effeminate and that my ribs were enlarging underneath my skin; stretching it to the point of tearing. The excitement was around seeing my friends, Kyle and Matt, after a brief but acknowledgeable absence. It may have only been two weeks, but I already felt like I was losing touch with them. Also, I was looking forward to giving Matt a CD for his birthday – “Read Music, Speak Spanish”.

Kyle came around 3:20pm; we quickly picked up some isopropyl alcohol (for my beasties) and then played 7 solid games of pool. To my surprise, I am played well. I always thought I was insufficiently talented for a guy whose parent’s OWNED a pool table. My brother, his girlfriend and two friends joined my parents, Kyle and I for dinner. We mowed down on sausages and salad for dinner, my parents left for a concert and then we ‘kids’ played Cranium WOW. The game is quite tricky but it was a lot of fun.

Matt popped by around 8:00pm. More pool was played and fun was had. Something about Kyle and Matt – even friends in general – make me so happy inside. I am sure that sounds kind of silly, and rather perverse, but that is what I feel. There is this swell of “goodness” that has the most enjoyable sensation ever.

I am going to stop there before I say something really disgusting.

I am truly lucky to have these people: Emily (x3), Matt, Kyle, Amy, Meg (x3), Karen, Jason (x2), Andrea and Brett. Sometimes I am really naïve about it, but recently I have realized that these are the people that make my life matter. It is not school. It is not good grades. It is not even following the rules and being a model citizen. It is my friends.

Why did I see this earlier?


- Jeffrey


(image courtesy of MindStep ©2008)

No comments: